Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default are there any tricks to recycled plastic as a DIY exercise?

On 2008-08-17, Steve Lusardi wrote:

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

I need a 6 inch length of 20mm dia plastic and cant find a local
supplier that I can get to in lunch breaks.

The solution is called mail order. Try eBay. Everything is available.

In particular, I've ordered 12" lengths of 1" diameter (a bit
over 20mm, so you can turn it down) Delrin (Acetal) from MSC. You have
a choice of "natural" (sort of whiteish), or black. It is a very nice
to machine plastic.

I certainly would not try Coke bottle plastic for most things.
I would expect it to be nasty to machine.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564