Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Old Vigor Burnout Furnace adapted to heat treating

On 2008-08-17, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-08-17, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[ ... ]

This neon does not flicker, although it seems to be original.

Amazing.

I took a closer look. The neon pilot could have been replaced, as the
connection is by means of 0.25" tabs. One can still buy exactly these
pilot lamps, so it could have been replaced quite recently.

O.K. Also, I think that if they are being run brighter, they
keep from flickering longer. I've got an old surge protector box with
rocker switches with Neon lamps and they have all given up by now. It
does not matter really in this case, but they are all dark, and
difficult to access and replace. :-)

[ ... ]

"On the dole" -- are you in the UK by any chance? Or from
there?

Neither. But I like their turn of phrase.

O.K. I can understand that.

Is Boston close enough?

If you're in the Irish part, sure. They would say that. :-)

[ ... ]

I thought of this, but couldn't find an 115 volt AC fans that were small
enough. I probably can run a 24 volt fan off the controller signal to
the SSR, but the fan would run only when the element was on. Perhaps
that's enough.

Hmm ... a tiny switching power supply from a hamfest to power
it?

I suppose, but we'll see if it's needed.

O.K. Perhaps just a 12V fan and a wall wart to power it? :-)

Seems clunky. Not clear that it needs a fan either.

O.K. I just hope that the lifetime of the controller is not
shortened.

While looking at it to see the model number of the controller, I
also checked out the spacers from the legs. It looks as though I have
something like 2-1/2" to 3" spacers -- which brings the left edge of the
controller housing in line with the right edge of the oven box.

[ ... ]

machinable lava

[ ... ]

I'll look into this. I recall that MSC sells the stuff, but it's
expensive.

It helps that I have some of it already. :-)

Ahh.

Yes -- that does make a difference, doesn't it? :-) From a shop
at work which was being closed up -- back when I still was working.

[ ... ]

I did purchase what will eventually replace what came with the furnace.

O.K. I already had some nice unused stainless steel clad type K
thermocouples -- still got a spare for when this one gets cooked to
death. :-)

It won't be soon I'll wager.

I hope not.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564