Posted to rec.woodworking

Default permit inspections - thanks for all the replies

Swingman wrote:

"evodawg" wrote
As far as I'm concerned most permits are to generate taxable income.
Anything not structural or electrical should not need a permit.

If you would add but Plumbing and HVAC to that, both of which cry for
inspection to protect the unwary, I would mostly agree.

That said, the permitting process is used to enforce building standards
and to protect the unwary against the practices of shoddy remodelers and
builders, whose numbers are legion.

Would that were true. When we lived in Lewisville, there was a
subdivision in which the homes and sites were inspected by the city prior
to receiving certification for occupancy. What the city failed to inspect
was the fact that the back yards had been filled improperly and in several
years, peoples' yards began to slide into the creek area behind the
subdivision losing both backyard and in some cases endangering the
integrity of the homes. The builder had gone bankrupt in the intervening
time and the city disclaimed any liability despite having inspected and
certified the homes and sites in compliance. Paraphrasing their words the
bottom line was that the inspection process assured that the city collected
its fees and taxes and was no guarantee of quality or habitability. Pretty
much confirmed any cynical views I had toward the inspection process.