Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Curious about shop space

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:50:24 -0500, "ron" wrote:

I am at best a wood working hobbyist, certainly not in the league of some of
you guys posting here.
I have a small shop 16x24 with an 8 foot square section closed off for
storage, compressor and the like.
Having just finished a gun cabinet project, I spent the morning rearranging
and moving all my larger tools back into their nesting places.
As I was finishing up and day-dreaming about having a larger work space, I
couldn't help but wonder if some of y'all with big shops, have the same
space problems.
Is it really true, what they say? You will always find enough stuff to take
up the room you have.

Ron

IMHO, you can never have too much space, but the more space, the more stuff you
seem to have in it..

16x24'?
Not what most folks would consider small.. ;-]

Mine's 18x22 and after working in a 2 car garage filled with family stuff for
most of my life, my shop seems HUGE.. lol

OTOH, in my case only the lathes, bandsaw and hand tools are IN the shop, the
rest are in the carport..

I think that size needed also depends on what you do in the shop... If you're
ripping 12 or 16' boards, you need more space or different dimensions than if
you're making jewelry boxes or segmented bowls..

Personally, I find that I prefer a smaller area and am forced to keep it more
organized than I would in a larger area..
When I found that I'd rather have stuff like the TS, planner, router table and
sharpening stuff outside, I gave my wife the back 6' of the shop for storage..

Being lazy, I appreciate that my bench is now about 3or 4' from the lathe,
instead of almost 10'.. It's a bitch getting old..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing