Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Retaining wall in garden - Celcon blocks?

Geo wrote:
I have lookead at the usual paving expert page and googled for a couple of hours
but have to ask another question in here...
I need to build a short (about 3 feet long) earth-retaining wall which will also
support one end of a bike store (6' x 3'). The wall needs to be about 28" high -
from the lower ground level.
Appearance is not a consideration since the face of the wall will be less than a
foot from an existing garden shed.
I only have access to B&Q and Wickes and found some Celcon Standard blocks in
B&Q which, according to the web site, can be used as foundations as well as
internal/external walls. They seem very soft and flaky and I am unsure if they
would weather well without rendering.
This site appear to be using something similar:-
http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/...retainingwall/

Any opinions on using Celcon blocks?

Geo

Jot sure about celcon..isn't that the soft ****e you cut with a saw? I
used proper concrete blocks and steel ties between every one. That
worked OK. I'd use double thickenss for 28" of soil tho, and do leave
drain holes at the bottom and backfill with gravel..