Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default are there any tricks to recycled plastic as a DIY exercise?

The solution is called mail order. Try eBay. Everything is available.
Steve

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

I need a 6 inch length of 20mm dia plastic and cant find a local
supplier that I can get to in lunch breaks.

I was looking at the stack of coca cola PET bottles I've collected and
wondered what tricks there were to melting this down to a rod of
machinable plastic. the properties of the neck plastic seem ok.

are there techniques that work well enough in the workshop?

what are the pitfalls to remelting something like PET?
does the remelt have the usual strength properties once it has cooled?

(the gingery injection moulding thread showed some knowledgeable guys
around)

Stealth Pilot