Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard and old ceilings

On Aug 17, 11:11*am, Clint Sharp wrote:

OK, I give up. Finally been nagged enough to do something with the
kitchen ceiling.

The kitchen is fairly small and it's got an enclosed pipe running across
one part of it so it would be ideal to be able to bring the level of the
ceiling down to this level (about 3 inches lower).

Do I *really* have to pull down the existing plaster and lath to expose
the beams above or can I just pull off the (tiny) loose bits and locate
the beams and then batten at right angles to the appropriate level
before putting plaster board over it?

Do I need to use fire proof board because it's a kitchen and should I
use 9.5, 12.5 or 15mm board?

Final question, do I need a plasterer afterwards or can I just cover it
with lining paper and paint it?

Not trying to cut corners unnecessarily but money is rather tight at the
moment and I'd rather be able to do this for myself if I can.

9mm PB is fine for a false ceiling, on a light timber frame, eg 2x2.
You can fix it to existing ceiling or have it free floating - the
former is easier, the later gives extra noise reduction.

No need to pull anything existing down.
Final treatment can be plaster skim, filled joints or paper lining,
upto you. Filling is cheapest.
Fireproof board, no, basic PB is fireproof already.

However what you propose seems like a lot of work, cant you reroute
the pipe?

Stuart Noble:
You could just fix plasterboard through the old plaster without battens.
I'm pretty sure that's what a plasterer would do.

I can picture it now, a layer of PB hanging on 6" screws screwed only
half way in

NT