Posted to uk.d-i-y
R D S[_2_] R D S[_2_] is offline

Default Plasterboard and old ceilings

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
OK, I give up. Finally been nagged enough to do something with the
kitchen ceiling.

The kitchen is fairly small and it's got an enclosed pipe running across
one part of it so it would be ideal to be able to bring the level of the
ceiling down to this level (about 3 inches lower).

Do I *really* have to pull down the existing plaster and lath to expose
the beams above or can I just pull off the (tiny) loose bits and locate
the beams and then batten at right angles to the appropriate level
before putting plaster board over it?

You can cut out the need for battens if you reroute the pipe,much
easier,use
12.5mm in the kitchen.

How would you suggest doing it?
Locate the wood then attach directly against the old ceiling?
Screw or nails?

Ta.