Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Onkyo TX-82 stereo receiver fault. Suggest possible solutions...

wrote in message
I have an Onkyo TX-82 stereo receiver.

What happens is that, at random moments during use, the speaker
protection relay may open and cut the sound and then close.

I've tried reflowing all solder joints on the power amp board and
replaced various electrolytic capacitors, but to no avail. The
receiver keeps cutting out at random times.

The receiver seems to amplify normally, even up to the point where the
relay opens.

I'm guessing that the relay itself could be at fault, but how? I
physically tap the relay during use and it doesn't exhibit any faults.

Any suggestions on what could be going on?

Bad joints on the relay coil connections. Bad joints in the power supply
causing one rail to drop out momentarily. Bad joints in the relay control /
fault sense circuit. Resistor on relay delay timing going high / open.
Timing cap int o/c. Genuine problem such as defective speaker or wiring.
Those are the most common problems I come across.

Arfa