BillR

Default Urgent : Water leaking from heating pump 'electrical box'

Andy Jenkins wrote:
Hi all,

Got a urgentish problem - probably best that I contact a plumber -
just need some confirmation first ..

Our 1 year old pump (replaced by British Gas - who wont come out FOC -
despite the pumping being fitted 1 year and 3 days ago) - is leaking
water from the electrical box on the side of the pump. This seems to
be in addition to the fact that the heating is not working (related?)

Whilst cleaning up some of the water this morning - the pump went
'bang' - water still leaks - still no heating.

The water is leaking at the rate of about 1 normal size teacup within
20 minutes. A serious amount !

Why ? Would a washer or something have come out from the pump itself
? Presumably the 'bang' was the cylinder thing inside the 'black box'
which looking at an old pump seems to be reason what out old pump went
a year ago (at least - theres a hole at the bottom of the cylinder
thing anyway).

Any thoughts ? (off to empty the cup again now - at least I'll get
some exercise today).

Yes there is a sealing washer on the ones I've seen. I've never known one to
fail..
The pump vendors specify allowable orientations maybe yours does not follow
these?

You should be able to isolate the pump with the valves either side of it.
They are a doddle to replace if you have a big enough spanner.
The cylinder thing is a large capacitor without it the pump won't work.