Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New construction: how to judge quality?

wrote in message
We're going to look at a house that was built in 2007 and never been
occupied. I've Googled the builder, but haven't found much.

Is there any way to determine the quality of the work and materials,
as a layperson?

You have to put things into perspective. Is the house part of a large tract
of "starter" homes or is it an upscale neighborhood? Or is it a one of a
kind built to appeal to the discriminating buyer?

cshenk told you to go to the attic. I'm telling you to go to the basement
too. Look at the electrical panel. Is it the minimum required or is it
large enough to expansion? Is the heating system one of the better brands?
Take a look at the ceiling beams if exposed. Is the door hardware cheap
crap or something better?

Look at fit and finish on things like kitchen and bath cabinets. Even the
low end stuff should be properly installed but the more expensive house will
have better quality materials.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/