Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New construction: how to judge quality?

wrote in message
We're going to look at a house that was built in 2007 and never been
occupied. I've Googled the builder, but haven't found much.

Is there any way to determine the quality of the work and materials,
as a layperson?

If it is like most of the new construction I have seen around here it was
probably built to low bid specifications. Meaning that the builder got the
cheapest subcontractors he could find who used the cheapest materials and
the cheapest labor in order to make a profit. Instead of hiring an
inspector, you would be better off paying for an electrician, a plumber, and
an HVAC contractor to come spend an hour or two and give you their honest
assessments. You could try contacting the town building inspectors and ask
them what they thought of the construction, but they may be reluctant to be
honest with a stranger.

Usually problems with the infrastructure don't manifest themselves until a
few years down the road after the original builder has changed corporate
entities. Check for cracking in the foundation and inside the basement.
Look for any signs of moisture in the basement. If any doors don't seem to
close properly that could indicate a bad hang job or a sagging wall. As an
electrician I tend to notice things like crooked wall plates on switches and
outlets which may not indicate a bad wiring job, but does show a lack of
professionalism on the installers part.