Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion light turns on for a few seconds after inside lightsswitched off

On 8/15/2008 2:39 PM cshenk spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

On 8/15/2008 11:40 AM cshenk spake thus:

David, we have one we unplugged and were about to replace but maybe it's
just the sensor? It no longer turns off like it should. Rather than pay
for repair, we were going to replace but if the sensor is that easy, can
you describe how such might be replaced?

Again, assuming it's like the standard ones you get at Home Despot and

It is. Simple thing there.

elsewhere, where the sensor hangs down under the fixture with the two
lampholders, it's super-simple: open up the fixture to expose the wiring,
disconnect the wires going to the sensor (they're a certain color, I
*think* red), then pull off the sensor. Stick the new sensor in,
reconnect, close it up, that's it.

Ok, sounds easy enough. I will go shopping tomorrow and see if I can locate
a new sensor.

Just to follow up on my own posting with some more detailed
instructions, after looking at one of those lights:

The sensor has 3 wires: black, white & red.

- Black goes to the incoming cable black;
- White gets tied to the two whites from the lampholders and the
incoming cable white;
- Red goes to both of the lampholder blacks.

The sensor is screwed into the base like the lampholders. After removing
the wires, loosen the locknut, then unscrew it. After screwing in the
new sensor, make sure it's positioned correctly on the base, then
tighten the locknut. You'll be able to move the sensor to aim it.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".