Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default New construction: how to judge quality?

wrote in message

We're going to look at a house that was built in 2007 and never been

Is there any way to determine the quality of the work and materials,
as a layperson?

Humm, I'd look closely at the corners, especially where the woodwork meets
at the floor. If it's sloppy, then apt to be the construction is elsewhere
as well. Take a flashlight and look deep inside the kitchen and bathroom
cabinets. How well that looks can indicate the care done with the rest of
the house.

Go up in the attic. Peel the insulation back a bit and see how it looks
under it.

Check windows. Is there a small gap you can fit a credit card under between
it and the walls? Lack of caulking can mean they scrimped elsewhere.

Remove a few outlet covers and just peek in there and see if it looks like
the wires are tight and the boxes are well anchored.

Before actually buying, ask them for their inspection report. Get the name
of the inspector. Before actually signing anything, pay for a second
inspection with a *different fellow* who has no relation to the first one so
no reason to hide or 'soft shoe' anything.