Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Diatomaceous earth - is it safe?

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:11:38 -0700 (PDT), Steve in Virginia
wrote:

On Aug 14, 5:45 pm, "
wrote:
I've got a silverfish and cricket problem in the house. I've read
that diatomaceous earth is good for killing insects.

But I saw some sites say that if you breathe DE, then you might have
serious lung problems. Then I saw some sites say that there are
different types of DE - you want the "food grade" type, which
apparently is safe for humans, and is even used in flour and
Bisquick. Is that true?

You can also use Boric Acid. It's safe; dissolved in water it's often
used as a mild antiseptic for eye irritations and infections. For
roaches and silverfish, when it's ingested it damages their metabolism
and internal organs. Externally, boric acid crystals damages their
exoskeletons. Just sprinkle it behind cabinets, under the sink, etc.

Cheers,

Steve

Agree. Boric Acid is what I sprinkle around outside entry doors,
garages, etc.

DE is microscopic fossils.

The type used for pool filters is heated to a high temperature, thus
melting the "jagged" edges. It will not work on the insects.

Food grade DE is not heated/processed in the above manner. The fossils
retain the sharp edges, just as they were harvested. As a food
additive (food grade) it will help reduce parasites in farm animals
--- cattle. You can by this at agricultural supply stores.

The food grade is also suggested for controlling slugs.

YMMV.