Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default edge finder sensitivity

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 03:11:49 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:15*am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:43:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:...
Here is a question: *Has somebody here actually TESTED an edgefinder
to determine accuracy and repeatability?

Wolfgang
...I trust my best edgefinder to half a thou, though I very rarely *need

that kind of accuracy. *

I checked how repeatable mine was the other day because of this
thread. It repeated to about half a thousandth turning at 600 RPM on a
filed surface and I could get it within a thousandth by feeling for a
step when it was stationary, which is how I use the center finder.
When I want accuracy I surface-grind the block before milling and
drilling. A surface-ground edge seems to behave differently with an
edge finder, maybe it's the friction or lack of it?

I haven't made anything recently that could be used to check the
accuracy of the edge finder. Maybe a carefully bored hole near an edge
would do.

=========
Anyone have accuracy numbers for the cheapscrew method of using a
dowel pin and feeler gage or slip of paper?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and