Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.engineering.maintenance
Donita Luddington Donita Luddington is offline

Default Please help Burnham RSM-126 oil furnace won't heat hot water after vacation

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:19:28 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:38*am, Donita Luddington wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:22:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Now call a professional for God's sake!

How hard can this thing be?
All it does is boil water.

What does a professional know that I can't learn in a few weeks?
Is there a book out there on boilers?

when the burner tries to start, do you get a flame or not..

the problem is either

1) you get no flame and the saftey kicks out in which case you need to
determine why the flame won't ignite i.e. lack of fuel or lack of
ignition, lack of air etc.

2) you get a flame but the control system thinks that you are not
getting a flame... then you need to troubleshoot the control system,
i.e. a dirty flame sensor, bad relay etc...

Thank you. I was hoping for something like this.
I mean, take a car, admittedly a simple affair, but, let's take a car
engine.

If the engine isn't running, it's ALWAYS one of four things. It's never not
one of those four things. So, you go down, one by one, and you see if the
combustion chamber is getting each of those four things, in the right ratio
and the right time.

Sure, the ratio is 14:1, which is hard to measure, but, the point is that a
combustion chamber needs only a very few things to work, and, when it
doesn't work, there are usually simple diagnosis procedures that determine
if those very few simple things are there or not.

Am I making this clear or did I just muddy it all up (sometimes I think
it's clearer when I don't ramble on) .........