Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.engineering.maintenance
Mark Mark is offline

Default Please help Burnham RSM-126 oil furnace won't heat hot waterafter vacation

On Aug 15, 1:38*am, Donita Luddington wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:22:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Now call a professional for God's sake!

How hard can this thing be?
All it does is boil water.

What does a professional know that I can't learn in a few weeks?
Is there a book out there on boilers?

when the burner tries to start, do you get a flame or not..

the problem is either

1) you get no flame and the saftey kicks out in which case you need to
determine why the flame won't ignite i.e. lack of fuel or lack of
ignition, lack of air etc.

2) you get a flame but the control system thinks that you are not
getting a flame... then you need to troubleshoot the control system,
i.e. a dirty flame sensor, bad relay etc...

But the other guys are correct, if you screw up, you could cause big
trouble ...the main danger is everytime you press the red button, if
there is no flame, unburned fuel collects in the fire box, when you do
finally get it to light, all that accumulated fuel will light all at
once and that can be very bad...

the other danger is don't do anything to defeat any saftey system,
they are there for a reason..

I think Audels has some good books. Be careful

Mark