Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon[_4_] Jon[_4_] is offline

Default Alum and stainless ?

If you're ok with low carbon steel, think 12L14

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
.. .
Terry Coombs wrote:
I've seen conversations about alum to dissolve broken taps , screws ,
etc in aluminum ... how about in stainless ? Last step in making an
indexable carbide end mill was to tap the screw hole to 6-32 . Got
about a quarter inch of tap broken off in the hole now , and really
don't want to start all over . I'm not sure just what alloy the SS
is , it was a gift , but likely an alloy used in the medical field ,
since it was that kind of shop it came from .
We are NOT amused ...

An update ...

I remembered I had purchased a small assortment of solid carbide drills /
mills , HF specials , and all very small . I managed to face the end of
the tap square with a small carbide mill , and only broke three bits
center drilling the tap (all in the .030-.039 range) . Got the tap broken
up and removed , reground the end of the broken one , and promptly broke
it again . I've never had good luck tapping stainless ... and that piece
is now back in the material bin .
Okay , this has been a learning experience for me , and the next attempt
will be with a different material . I have on hand some O1 drill rod ,
some 4140 , and some 1018 crs .
I'm thinkin' the 1018 for my next try ...

--
Snag
wannabe machinist and tap breaker extraordinaire