Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 17th Edition, RCD's and Cable routes

Toby wrote:

These are already installed, singally, so I don't need to bother (other
than th check them, obviously!)

If it was being one in one run, if the cable was cut, can it be
soldered/crimped, and still be OK?

IIRC the regs make reference to "unbroken" connections - so this may be
a case where a join is not acceptable.

You have not mentioned tails size. FOr a 60A supply, you could go as
low as 16mm^2, however using 25mm^2 may be prudent to allow for an
easy supply upgrade in the future.

Iam not sure acutally, I think they are 16mm, but will check, do you
know the normal external diameter of 16mm cables?

about 9.1mm IIRC. (11mm for 25mm^2)

Personally I would add an emergency light in the proximity of the CU
anyway.

I was thinking of putting one of these in the celing, over the front
door, and at the top of the stairs (the front door is very near the
bottom of the stairs)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EMAG3MW.html

Yup, very good plan. One by the CU is "handy" but not necessarily life
saving. Ones showing the exit routes however can certainly be in the
latter category. (again depends a bit on the location and the amount of
ambient light about)

While I am doing it, it seems silly not to spend an extra few minutes
taking photos, then writing it up later!

As for Part P....I assume I really do need to do this properly, as it
will be a complete rewire - what is the procedure here, will it cost me
loads to jump through their hoops?!

Depends on your local authority and how they want to play it. In theory,
you submit a building notice ( = £100) and they test/inspect as
required and give you a completion notice at the end. If they do play it
like that, then it is probably not too onerous for a complete rewire.
However you may find they expect you to pay for a third party test
certificate etc at which point it gets very much more expensive and
possibly impossible if you are rewiring piecemeal.

As far as I can tell the number of people who do follow the "correct"
route is a figure tending toward zero. Reading between the lines (and
the facial expressions from my BCO that last time I spoke to him) many
LAs are quite relieved about that!

--
Cheers,

John.