Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve in Virginia Steve in Virginia is offline

Default Diatomaceous earth - is it safe?

On Aug 14, 5:45 pm, "
wrote:
I've got a silverfish and cricket problem in the house. I've read
that diatomaceous earth is good for killing insects.

But I saw some sites say that if you breathe DE, then you might have
serious lung problems. Then I saw some sites say that there are
different types of DE - you want the "food grade" type, which
apparently is safe for humans, and is even used in flour and
Bisquick. Is that true?

You can also use Boric Acid. It's safe; dissolved in water it's often
used as a mild antiseptic for eye irritations and infections. For
roaches and silverfish, when it's ingested it damages their metabolism
and internal organs. Externally, boric acid crystals damages their
exoskeletons. Just sprinkle it behind cabinets, under the sink, etc.

Cheers,

Steve