Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default edge finder sensitivity

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:43:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I like the .200" dia. edge finder because my feed screws are .200" per
turn and 1/2 turn gets me to the spindle center line :-)).

Here is a question: Has somebody here actually TESTED an edgefinder
to determine accuracy and repeatability?

Never got to check it myself because the results were usually
workable, but it would be nice to know.

Wolfgang

I have, but my results would not be helpful to others because
particular edgefinders can vary quite a lot.

A well-made edgefinder, e.g. Brown & Sharpe, is quite good. It gets
even better if carefully lapped with fine compound, then carefully
cleaned and lubricated for use.

I trust my best edgefinder to half a thou, though I very rarely need
that kind of accuracy.