Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Degreasing aluminum

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Acetone itself does not leave a film. However, most of the acetone on the
commercial market is recycled from high-volume industrial uses, where it
picks up oil. The recycling can occur at different levels of quality, and
the ordinary stuff usually contains some oil.

I learned this when I worked in a fiberglass shop at Ranger Yachts. We had
a "commercially pure" grade we used for work where there was going to be
some bonding or painting after the cleaning. I don't know how the grades
are differentiated today but you can be sure, or you could be sure back
when I worked at Ranger, that any acetone you buy in a hardware store or
from a general supplier contains some oil.

So in theory using a "clean" acetone should avoid this problem. By that I
mean stuff like nail polish remover or medical plaster remover. Having said
that I wonder how clean they really are.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC