Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default Abiotic oil

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:48:18 -0500, RB wrote:

Whata Fool wrote:
"James" wrote:

"Whata Fool" wrote in message
terryc wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:01:22 -0400, James wrote:

Finally, some older oil wells previously regarded as depleted have
been
known to be replenished from below. This is certainly evidence that
oil
is being produced at depths in the earth (where there are no fossil
remains) and being pushed upward by intense pressure from below. The
best example of this is Green Island in the Gulf of Mexico. When all
the
oil that could profitably be extracted had been pumped out, the
wells
there were closed and forgotten about. Then, twenty years later,
those
wells were found to contain more oil than before any had been
removed!
If petroleum is constantly produced by an inorganic process, we are
never going to run out of oil.
Yawn, old pumping and measuring technology Vs new pumping and
measuring
technology.

No, but James may have quoted, or written some wrong assumptions,
it is difficult to tell with him, his newsreader doesn't properly
attribute quoted material, and he doesn't do it either.

For the record I am not claiming that oil is abiotic in nature. Unlike
warmers, who will swear that co2 is the bane of civilisation and defend
that position till hell freezes over regardless of evidence to the
contrary, I am merely saying that the idea of abiotic oil should be
considered. It makes no sense to summarily dismiss it because one likes
the biotic theory better.

The idea of abiotic oil crushes the environmental claim of the world
running out of oil soon and one would expect denial from them. However,
if it exists at all or if it co-exists, it is worth exploring. The
Russians went with the idea in the early 50s and have been quite
successful.

I would say it probably co-exists, but the quantity is
the question, if there is geologic CO2, why not CH4 or other chains.

But I see no reason for oil to move upward except in the
presence of water, and I don't know how deep water is found.

Pressure

Pressure from what? Gas is lighter then oil so any unassociated gas is
always located above the oil zone..

Bruce-in-Bangkok