Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default what're these four tiny capacitors DO for me inside my ol' Dialarc HF?

On 2008-08-14, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I was in RF before retiring.

1. Notice the #10 or such wire that the cap is attached.

Hmm ... that looks to me (I still have the image saved locally)
like about 22 ga wire, with insulating sleeves slipped on over it.
Looks like the silicone rubber in fabric type of insulating sleeve --
something which is unlikely to go brittle over years of exposure to UV
and weather.

And if that is the case, then wiggle is perfectly normal.

The large diameter has lower inductance and higher DC and AC current.

Yes -- it would, *if* the wire actually had a larger diameter.
I don't think that it does. It should be possible to slide the end of
the sleeve down a little away from the capacitor body to verify this.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564