Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Motion light turns on for a few seconds after inside lightsswitched off

On Aug 14, 2:07*pm, wrote:
On Aug 14, 11:58*am, BigLar wrote:

Hello,
I recently replaced my back patio light with a security (motion)
light. It is on a switch that is inside. It seems to work fine with
the exception of one odd behavior. When I turn off a light in the
house (kitchen or living room), the security lights come on for about
20 seconds. It doesn’t do anything when I turn on the lights in the
house. Only when I turn them off. I’m guessing they are on the same
circuit. In addition to the white and black wires at the mount, there
was a copper ground wire coming out of the wall. The security light
mount had a ground screw, but I chose to put the ground on the copper
ground wire instead. Would that have something to do with it? Anyway,
I don’t expect it is a hazard and I can live with the oddity but if
anyone has a good solution, I would like to try it. Thanks. Larry

Let me guess... You can stand under the security light and look into
the kitchen and living room windows.

Your motion sensor is "seeing" the act of the light going off as
motion, and is turning on in response to the perceived motion.

Why wouldn't it "see" the light coming on as a motion?