Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Highway Noise Barrier???? White noise????

On Aug 14, 12:33*pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:03:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:

Nothing sucks more than to buy a house with a view of the lake over a
gently rolling field only to have the owner of the field put up a
billboard or a warehouse a few years later.

The house I grew up in was across a narrow street from some woods
owned by a college in NYC. *Over the years, tennis courts, a baseball
field and other athletic features replaced the woods. Still, not so
bad - for all the years we lived there, the worst we had was a large
grass covered field across from our house.

This is, btw, a major reason for my other thread, where I wanted to
cut up the log in the stream. *I don't want the owners of the stream
bed to be bothered, I don't want them to think about the stream. *I
want as many years as possible to go by where they ignore it and the
thin strip of land on the other side, because I expect that
eventually, all my woods will be gone and something medium to terrible
will be there.

On the other side of the stream and beyond the woods and the next
street, the land was posted and I went to the zoning hearing. I didn't
intend to complain and I didn't, but my very presence and the few
simple questions I asked annoyed the developer a little bit. * When
they adjournded from the hearing room to an office, I followed along
and no one objected. * He had his zoning already, and planned to cut
down all the trees on his lot and put in some offices and ...a
7-11!!!!. *I figured I was stuck. *I don't know what happened, no one
was objecting while I was there. *They cut down all the trees and
ended up just putting a flood pond and a very quiet parking lot, a
free one with no sign or attendant. *That was 10 years ago. *

I drove through the old neighborhood last year - the view now consists
of a 7 story glass and steel building, less than 100 feet from my old
front door. My Dad was so glad he sold the place a few years before
the building went up.

What part of NYC is this? * *I lived there 12 years and tried as best
I could to learn the whole city.

What part of NYC is this?

Go to GoogleMaps and look at the Street View for 149-03 Reeves Ave
11367.
(The title on the Street View picture say 96 Reeves Ave for some
reason)

On the left you'll see a row of attached brick houses, I lived in the
2nd one from the corner.
Directly across Reeves Ave you'll see a glass and steel building - OK
I was mistaken, it's only 3 stories.

Where the building now stands is where the woods then field used to
be.

BTW - Pan out on the map and look at the area bordered by Reeves Ave,
Main St, Gravett Rd/Melbourne Ave and Kissena Blvd.

Starting at the corner of Main St & Gravett Rd and heading north, you
can go from Kindergarten to Junior High School to High School to
Graduate School all within the confines of that 2 mile "block".