Posted to alt.home.repair
rose rose is offline

Default PC antivirus software question

"Dan Espen" wrote:

Yes. Linux installs have gotten easier and easier.
If you can install XP, you'll find installing Linux is even easier
(without all the reboots).

If you can't install XP, you can run Linux without even doing a
proper install. There are "live CDs". Just put the CD in the drive
and
reboot. You don't install anything it just runs Linux.
If you have a machine that can boot from USB there are versions that
run from a USB device.

How do you deal with Windows problems? Same technique works with
Linux.

For many people, it's not an either or type choice. Many people
run both. They set up their machines for dual boot. If you've got
to get something done and you can't figure out how to do it, boot into
the other OS. Many people claim they switch back and forth and
eventually
find they don't need Windows after a while. For some it goes the
other
way.

If you have any curiosity burn a live CD and see how far you get.
It won't hurt anything.

I think what surprises most people is the massive amount of
free software available. The "Add/Remove Programs" feature
really works. In Windows, all it's good for is removing
stuff. With Linux there are thousands of free applications to
install and have fun with.

Dan, are you saying that installing and working with Linux is do-able
for someone at the novice (not newbie) level?

I hate Windows and am not fond of IE. I had to go back to IE after
upgrading Firefox screwed my computer up. I had been using it for years.
But every damn thing I have to install for windows eats up so much
resources. And I really don't know what I Need to install and what I can
skip. I also tried Thunderbird but wasn't crazy about it either. I use
OE.

Can I somehow install Linux over windows--I don't know what a dual boot
is. I will do a bit of research.

rose