Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default average parts/labor ratio for pros?

My experience has been that parts for plumbing are the least expensive, then
electrical more expensive, and wood the most expensive.

But this could easily switch around! Say that instead of replacing a drain
pipe with a plastic drain pipe (materials inexpensive), you are installing a
new bathtub with the kind that has water jets. Well the cost of the bathtub
would be way up there in relation to the labor.

Same with electrical. You could be installing a bare light bulb fixture -
takes 10 minutes and the fixture costs $3. Or you could be installing an
outdoor commercial high pressure sodium fixture - takes 10 minutes and the
fixture costs $450.

"grasshopper" wrote in message
I was looking at having some work done on some houses. Gererally
speaking, what's the ratio of parts -vs- labor in the building trades?

Typical inprovements I'm looking at include electrical, plumbing and
carpentry.