Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.engineering.maintenance
Donita Luddington Donita Luddington is offline

Default Please help Burnham RSM-126 oil furnace won't heat hot water after vacation

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:03:19 -0700 (PDT), Siskuwihane wrote:
If you have fuel, everytime you press that red button it will be
spraying fuel into your combustion chamber and pretty soon you have
unburned fuel pooling up in there and that's not something you want
when you eventually get it to fire.

I vacuum it out a lot and clean the hot water coils several times a year
but that's about it for normal maintenance. Should I have done more?

The wierd thing is I don't have any problem with the Burnham boiler not
firing up once I presses the button to start it.

At first, I was having to press the button a couple times to get it to go,
but once I took your advice and cleaned the nozzle, the Burnham boiler now
fires up right away. That's an improvement!

But I guess once it turns off because I stop using hot water, the boiler
just doesn't go back on again.

The fuel tank is full as I stuck a long broomstick in there so I know there
is fuel.

I know a lot of people have said it lost it's prime (just like me,
LOL)...... but are you sure it lost its prime if it starts up when I press
the button but just won't start up on its own?