Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Degreasing aluminum

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Acetone will leave a residue, Iso alcohol will not.

CLIP

No kidding! For years, I thought acetone left no "evidence" of use...
Then I tried to prep a window that was tinted on the opposite side for a
decal and found this really annoying oily substance all over the window
afterwards.

Now, I wonder why that is. Basic chemistry tells us that acetone should
evaporate completely leaving no residue. Could it be that it is not an
acetone residue at all but residue of such oils and fat that were there
before acetone was applied, dissolved in acetone and the acetone just
evaporated too quickly? The speed of acetone evaporation is noticeable, just
feel the cooling of the area (or the rag) where the acetone was applied.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC