Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Laying laminate floor throughout house -- multiple starting points?

Alex wrote:

Hi...

We're about to lay laminate floating flooring throughout our house,
but given we'll be doing almost every room (except bathrooms), there's
no way we'll be able to have a single starting point. Is it
recommended to start a new row in each room then use a transition
piece at the door where the floors meet (for example hallway and
bedroom or kitchen and living room) or is there anyway to have the
floors move seamlessly throughout the house? I'm not sure what the
standard process is for this.

Read the instructions that come with your material, and check the
company's web site. You might get lucky.

It's likely that your materials will have a maximum distance you can go
before being _required_ to put in a transition. Since this will be a
floating floor, it can expand a good bit. You definitely *don't* want
that expansion to go from a bedroom, across the hall, and into another
bedroom, binding against the door frames (assuming the distance would
exceed the specs).

I usually lay the boards parallel to the longest wall of the room. I
also try *not* to lay the boards so you're looking the length of them
from the main view into the room. Also consider the direction the
supporting beams run under the floor, if it's not concrete.

Other people have mentioned that changing the orientation from room to
room is disorienting. It's never bothered me, but you should consider
your own family. I've seen plenty of old houses where the floor guy got
really creative, making a mitered frame around the edge with patterns
in the middle.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement