Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Laying laminate floor throughout house -- multiple startingpoints?

On Aug 12, 2:36*am, Alex wrote:
We're about to lay laminate floating flooring throughout our house,
but given we'll be doing almost every room (except bathrooms), there's
no way we'll be able to have a single starting point. *Is it
recommended to start a new row in each room then use a transition
piece at the door where the floors meet (for example hallway and
bedroom or kitchen and living room) or is there anyway to have the
floors move seamlessly throughout the house? *I'm not sure what the
standard process is for this.

The only way to have the floors be seamless throughout the house is to
pick a room and start there. When you hit a doorway, just keep going
as if it's all just one large odd-shaped room, which is really all it
is.

If you ever want to re-do one room, simply saw through the laminate at
the transition and pull up the flooring in that room. Simple.

You could also put simulated thresholds in at each doorway transition,
but if the boards don't line up on either side of the transition, it's
going to look junky and half-assed. If you turn the flooring 90
degrees from one room to the next, you better put a barf bucket next
to the doorway so people with sensitive equilibriums can divest
themselves of their lunch as they go from one room to the next.