Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Viewsonic monitors

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 03:29:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

But this is consumer capitalism - as long as your working, in the
consumption loop, its not a problem - just buy a new one every 3
years. Wonder how long we, as a society, can keep up this ever
increasing consumption....oh, and don't lose your job, or retire -
your then out of the loop.

Andrew VK3BFA.

We all drive things in this direction by buying lowest price.
Engineers don't purposely design consumer goods to be unrepairable;
they strive (are driven) for lowest possible factory cost. The result
is that replacement is usually more economical than repair.

Back in the early 50's, a (repairable) television set cost $300 to
$500. The first microwave oven (Amana Radarange) cost 700 of those
dollars.
Based on 1950 CPI of 24.1 and 2007 CPI of 215, the TV would cost
a couple of thousand of today's dollars and no wonder only very
wealthy folks had microwave ovens! Today we can buy a TV or a
microwave for well under $100.