Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Copper Water Line Gages, And Usage ?

Robert11 wrote:
a. What might make a pinhole leake in the middle of a clear run ?
I guess the pinhole can be considered as a corrosion type of breakthrough.

b. How common is something like this is the thinwall Type M tubing ?
What causes ?

c. 35 years ago, was this (Type M) a common Copper gage they used for
household
hot and cold water lines ?

d. Is it still allowed, or the Code prohibits it now all over ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Probably was pit from manufacturing process that took that long to
finally break through. While not common, it's not unheard of for a new
section to have a leak initially.

Corrosion pitting is a combination of material and water chemistry. One
possibility is as someone else noted a touching piece of other metal
such as a truss bracket, etc. that can rub or be an electrolysis potential.

M was (and is) pretty common simply for cost -- it takes less Cu to make
thinner wall (obviously) so many contractors used it--particularly
houses built "on spec" rather than on contract where there wasn't a
specific buyer to satisfy or look over the materials.

I know of nothing in the Code that would proscribe it...nor should there
be, really. Even in your case it's been 35 years which ain't too bad
annoying as it is...