Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Laying laminate floor throughout house -- multiple starting points?

HeyBub wrote:

You will have to undercut the door frames. This is straight-forward,
but non-trivial. You've got what, five doors? Each will take up to a
half-hour unless you have an expensive power tool. A Dremel won't do
it. A jig-saw, circular saw, angle grinder, or other common thing
won't work. You've got to cut the frame; you can't cut the laminate
to fit. At a minimum, you'll need something similar to this:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11101

I have one of those. I got too dull to use after the third door -- dang
cheap Chinese metal. :-(

Now I use a standard crosscut hand saw:
* Lay a scrap of the flooring material upsidedown on the bare floor
next to the door frame.
* Lay the saw flat on the scrap.
* Saw away. Finish in three minutes. Use the specialty tool in case
there's an odd corner.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement