Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default Laying laminate floor throughout house -- multiple starting points?

Alex wrote:

Hi...

We're about to lay laminate floating flooring throughout our house,
but given we'll be doing almost every room (except bathrooms), there's
no way we'll be able to have a single starting point. Is it
recommended to start a new row in each room then use a transition
piece at the door where the floors meet (for example hallway and
bedroom or kitchen and living room) or is there anyway to have the
floors move seamlessly throughout the house? I'm not sure what the
standard process is for this.

Thanks --

Alex

Read the instructions of the laminate manufacturer. Some require
transitions between doorways. My personal experience is that if you
need transitions to plan for them before you bring the plank to the
doorway. Installing the transition has space and connecting
requirements. You will be highly upset when you find out there isn't
enough space or too much space for the gap. Another benefit of the
transition is when one of the planks gets damaged for some reason later
you will be able to slide adjoining planks around a bit to get the old
one out and new one in. The transition will also allow you to work in
different rooms and meet up at the doorway.

A scroll saw will be invaluable for cutting odd shapes to fit around
fireplaces or radiators, etc. A square will be handy also for marking
straight lines. Decent kneepads are a must. The moisture barrier below
the laminate must be installed properly. Above all patience and
planning are what will make the job done right.