Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default permit inspections - thanks for all the replies

"Eigenvector" wrote

To me the permit system is deeply flawed in that the policies are not
clearly documented, not friendly to the layman, and subject to far too

much
interpretation by the inspectors.

You pretty well hit the nail on the head. But, it's their supposed knowledge
of the building codes that gives the inspector his power over you. And,
since no one is perfect, an inspector's erroneous code "interpretation" can
often come into play and cause you grief.

Can't tell you how many times I've had an inspector fail an electrical final
for having an overhead recessed can in/close to a shower area, only to have
to point out to him that his interpretation of the code failed to account
for the height of the ceiling, which he had not bothered to measure.

IOW, knowledge can indeed, be power (although in that event he's just as
likely to fail you somewhere else in retaliation).

The point being is that the building inspection process is a "game", and
like any other it behooves both participants to learn the rules and study
how to play it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08