Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John G John G is offline

Default what're these four tiny capacitors DO for me inside my ol' Dialarc HF?

On 2008-08-13, BobH wrote:
dave wrote:
I just bought an old miller dialarc HF "whiteface" vintage. while
getting ready to test it, and cleaning it out, I noticed some of the
leads on the tiny capacitors in the main rectifier bridge are loose,
kind of like how quarter-inch round rod would rattle around inside a
piece of half-inch water pipe. they're "probably" bad, because of that
alone, I'd guess, but, umm, what exactly is the electrical function of
those four tiny things supposed to BE? like "what're they doing for me?"

here'a an extreme closeup of one of the 'loose leads' capacitors, next
to one of the four "big honkin" diodes in the bridge.
http://www.image-upload.net/files/53...or_closeup.jpg

here's a page from the owners manual, where they're descibed...
http://www.image-upload.net/files/5385/parts_blowup.jpg

and here's the parts schematic, for the same machine.
http://www.image-upload.net/files/53...0schematic.jpg

electrically, I'm a "real slow learner", so, thanks for your help, guys
:-)

toolie

They probably do a couple of things. As Iggy mentioned, they will help
keep the HF out of the diodes. The other thing is that when diodes start
and stop conducting in a rectifier, they do so very abruptly, which
creates high frequency noise. This noise can cause interference problems
with nearby radio and TV sets (though nothing like the HF will) and it
can also shorten the life of the diodes. These caps will short that
noise to ground.

Bob, these are SCRs, for sure they stop conducting at zero crossing
only. As far as starting to conduct, are you positive that they do it
very abruptly? I thought that it was not the case, but maybe I am
wrong.

By the way, the Dialarc HF is a nice machine! I had one for many years.
It only got replaced when I started doing more aluminum and small stuff.
Be sure to follow the directions for cleaning and setting the spark gap
points. Ernie L says that the caps in the HF circuit need replacing
occassionally also.

These are great, indestructible welders...

those DIODES are DIODES, not SCRs.
SCRs have 3 leads, Anode, Cathode & Gate.

john G.