Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default sorta OT - Back Attack

wrote:
Bloody Hell - my back has gone out again, its recurrent - usual thing,
3rd disc injured, had it for years. Goes out sometimes, especially if
I forget about it when lifting something - even bending down to pick
up me socks, and as for swapping over BIG chucks on the lathe, well,
forget it....

Usual treatment - go and see the physiotherapist, take lots of anti-
inflammatory drugs, complain a lot till it gets better.

Mostly just wait it out. I crunched something in my lower back,
caused pain shooting down my thighs. I saw a map on the net
that showed exactly which branch of the nerves goes with each
patch of pain area. Anyway, driving made it worse, so I rolled
up a jacket and stuffed it behind my rear, and it helped a lot.
We have a dresser that is about waist height. I pushed down on
it and stretched out my spine, letting my feet dangle. This
seemed to give several hours of relief, and seemed to maybe help
the recovery.

Now, I just am careful with my back to not set it off again, and
I haven't had much trouble in a couple years.

Jon