Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
m m is offline

Default Degreasing aluminum

Is this a hobby project and one off, or is it for a
long run of parts in production? *You may have to have fume hoods, a
washing station or other setups to satisfy the OSHA-type folks if it's
an industrial operation. *And have to pay attention to MSDS, too.
You're opening yourself up to a LOT of legal liability if you don't
train the workers when using any sort of chemicals.

It's for small-scale industrial production...maybe ten assemblies per
month.

I have a feeling that it might be a better idea to have the machine
shop send the parts to an anodizer before we get them. They can deal
with acid washing, etc. I was trying to avoid anodizing for better
thermal conductivity, but the alternative (having to setup a full-
blown chemical operation in a corner somewhere) just isn't going to
happen. My guess is that we can wipe down the anodized parts with de-
natured alcohol just to clean the surface and then proceed with epoxy
bonding and we'll be just fine.

-Martin