Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default PC antivirus software question

wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:13:49 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:14:24 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Kenneth wrote:

I called Symantec and requested a full refund on our
purchases. After some hassling, we got the refund.

I stopped using NAV about 5-6 years ago when whichever
version
was using was no longer supported. Okay, no biggie. But then when
bought and "installed" the new version, the new version would not
work
because some of the new version conflicted with the old version.
Okay,
small biggie but still mainly annoying. So I used the old
version's
"uninstall" then fired up the new version again only to get most
of
the previous conflicts. Called Symantec and spent about 4 hours
(nearly 7 total) taking out bits and pieces by hand from all over
the
hard drive. That was the end of my having ANYTHING to do with any
software company with an "s" in the name (g).

stirring things up
BTW I am VERY happy with my new AV software. OS X!
/stirring things up

My experience has been that antivirus programs cause far more
problems than the virii that they are supposed to be protecting us
against. Personally I run a standalone firewall with a software
firewall behind it, don't download executables from unknown sites,
and never use the administrator account unless I'm doing something
that requires administrator access, and I've not had a virus on
any
of my computers in 20 years. The virus threat is vastly
overrated,
mostly due to the marketing efforts of the producers of antivirus
software.

You sound like you work at Consumer Reports! LOL

I knew a guy who chain smoked unfiltered camels from age 13 to age
93
when he was ht by a car crossing the street. He didn't get lung
cancer, so I guess there is no connection between cigarettes and
lung
cancer! He proved it.

ps.

You misspelled VIRUSES. There is no such word as virii in any
language, including dead ones.

plonk

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate