Posted to alt.home.repair
Toffee Monday Toffee Monday is offline

Default Laying laminate floor throughout house -- multiple starting points?

Alex wrote:
Hi...

We're about to lay laminate floating flooring throughout our house,
but given we'll be doing almost every room (except bathrooms), there's
no way we'll be able to have a single starting point. Is it
recommended to start a new row in each room then use a transition
piece at the door where the floors meet (for example hallway and
bedroom or kitchen and living room) or is there anyway to have the
floors move seamlessly throughout the house? I'm not sure what the
standard process is for this.

Thanks --

Alex,

Do follow manufacturers installation procedures. I know some off brands,
do not include any type of instructions. If this is the case, grab basic
101 installation instructions from a brand name on-line.

I'm certified 3x over, with different manufacturers. You will find you
will need a transition strip at all doorways. There are several reasons
for this, one being your rooms have different humidity in them, or the
hallway humidity is different than the rooms, etc.

Floating floors don't move per say, they do expand & contract. Having a
"solid" sheet of flooring wanting to contract or expand, and part of it
not wanting to, can result in some gaps or buckle points. Once dust/dirt
get in a gap, it will never close back to where it should be. Buckles
speak for them self.

Good luck on your project.