Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Wavetek 75 (or 75A or 23) Rotary Encoder

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:47:40 -0700, "Hoi Wong"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:00:00 +1000, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The above encoders are optical types, so you will need to wire up a 5V
DC supply.

I notice that there are three unused wires in the J12/J13 harness in
the Model 23. If the Model 75 also has unused conductors, then maybe
you could utilise them for bussing the +5V supply to the optical
encoder.

- Franc Zabkar

Thanks a lot Franc. I found a convenient +5 from CR2 (left part of battery
test schematic on p.126) to steal for optoencoders too. By the way, am I
supposed to wire the switch terminals 1,2 to the ground in this case?

Cheers,
Hoi

AIUI, if you use one of the Bourns EM14 series optical encoders, then
you would wire the original 1 & 2 terminals of your mechanical encoder
to the Channel A and Channel B output pins of your optical encoder. If
you get the direction wrong, then you just swap the A & B terminals.

As for the 1 & 2 switch terminals of your optical encoder, I would
think that you would leave them unconnected.

- Franc Zabkar