Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Wavetek 75 (or 75A or 23) Rotary Encoder

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=1114163;keywords=encoder
shows 549 encoders to chose from.

the mecanical encoders use pullup resistors, and the switch pulls the
+5 VDC lines low as the shaft is turned. The interface may need to be
modified to use the electronic encoders. The electronic encoders I've
used had a direction output, and a pulse output which will not work with
that Wavetek design.

Interesting... those would be ones with a decoder IC on board. You're
right, those would not be appropriate for repairing the Wavetek.

The rotary optical encoders I've used myself have a direct two-bit
quadrature output, and use open-collector phototransistor pulldowns
rather than electrical-contact pulldowns. They don't have on-board
direction/pulse decoders - they were/are designed to be almost direct
replacements for similar mechanical encoders.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO