Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Degreasing aluminum

On Aug 12, 4:09*pm, m wrote:
I need to degrease aluminum parts prior to bonding with epoxy. *One
part has relatively thin (0.0625in) slots that the other parts fit
into. *The epoxy goes into the slots.

I would prefer to use something that isn't hazardous. *Someone
suggested Xylene, for example. *I don't want to use stuff like that.
We don't have workers who are trained nor the facilities to manage
anything of that sort.

What are my options? *Do any of the Citrus-based products work?
Perhaps in a heated ultrasonic tank?

I guess one concern is that the clearner not leave anything behind
that could harm the aluminum-epoxy-aluminum bond.

Thanks,

-Martin

It isn't just degreasing you have to do, to get the maximum strength
bond, you have to remove the oxide layer, too. And that has to be
done with the surface under something, either wet with epoxy or with
solvent. What you need to use to get oil and grease off depends on
what's on there to start with. When doing motor home trim on the
powder-coating line, the pieces used to have to go through a power
washer with a proprietary detergent, motor oil was used on the jigs to
bend them up. Then they had to go through an oven to remove the water.
There's a lot of things that will remove oil and grease, a lot fewer
that don't leave residue. Acetone and methyl-ethyl ketone will do a
job on lightly soiled surfaces, you may have to use a degreaser and
then a solvent wash to remove the degreaser residue, depending on what
the parts are contaiminated with. And a lot depends on what sort of
job you're doing. Is this a hobby project and one off, or is it for a
long run of parts in production? You may have to have fume hoods, a
washing station or other setups to satisfy the OSHA-type folks if it's
an industrial operation. And have to pay attention to MSDS, too.
You're opening yourself up to a LOT of legal liability if you don't
train the workers when using any sort of chemicals.

Stan