Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
m m is offline

Default Degreasing aluminum

I need to degrease aluminum parts prior to bonding with epoxy. One
part has relatively thin (0.0625in) slots that the other parts fit
into. The epoxy goes into the slots.

I would prefer to use something that isn't hazardous. Someone
suggested Xylene, for example. I don't want to use stuff like that.
We don't have workers who are trained nor the facilities to manage
anything of that sort.

What are my options? Do any of the Citrus-based products work?
Perhaps in a heated ultrasonic tank?

I guess one concern is that the clearner not leave anything behind
that could harm the aluminum-epoxy-aluminum bond.

Thanks,

-Martin