Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default PC antivirus software question

J. Clarke wrote:
IGot2P wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:09:58 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

I'm a wondering what everyone is using for AV software. I've
been using Trend micro pc-cillin for a few years, but it seems
the 2008 version is not
great. My local pc hardware guy agrees and recommends Kaspersky
2008 Internet Security. Anyone heard of or used this one?

thanks for all your input.

steve

What is "not so great" about what you are using?

Get and read the latest issue of Consumer Reports. They did an
extensive comparison and rated many antivirus suites both free and
for sale. They liked BitDefender very much, were surprisingly down
on Norton/Symantec (the suite I use) and also down on Trend
PCCillin, the product I previously used but found way too slow and
buggy.

Smarty
Those who rely on Consumer Reports for reliable, honest, and
accurate
analysis of ANYTHIING, deserve what they get.

What gives you that impression of them? If they had advertising,
which
they don't, I might have a tendency to agree but without the
advertising I find them to be pretty "straight up" and reliable.

Now, let's hear your reasoning.

Experience. Every time I've trusted Consumer Reports I've gotten
burned.

Oh, I might trust them on household appliances and similar things, but
when it comes to cars and electronics, forget it. Anybody else remember
their silly rollover stunt with those stupid outriggers that raised the
mini-SUV's CG a foot or so? Like articles in newspapers, whenever they
write about something that I actually have some expertise on or
witnessed, I find myself saying 'that ain't right...' And their
reliability ratings are meaningless, like any self-selected polling pool.

--
aem sends...