Posted to alt.home.repair
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default PC antivirus software question

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

I'm a wondering what everyone is using for AV software. I've been using
Trend micro pc-cillin for a few years, but it seems the 2008 version is not
great. My local pc hardware guy agrees and recommends Kaspersky 2008
Internet Security. Anyone heard of or used this one?

thanks for all your input.

steve

Hi Steve,

I have used Kaspersky AV on our seven systems for the last
four years or so. I could not be happier with the product.

I would not even consider any Norton, or Symantec product
for a few reasons:

Prior to KAV, we had Norton.

One day, I noticed that one of our systems had a flag
telling us that our NAV license was about to expire. I
clicked to run though an automatic renewal process.

Within a day or two, the same thing happened on a few of our
other machines, but only after renewing three or four of
them did I notice a problem:

The warning was actually telling us that the licenses were
to expire in thirty days, but when we renewed, we received
and automatically installed a license that started on the
day of the installation.

In other words, Symantec had found a way to "eat" a month of
the license.

It was extremely sleazy to say the least.

But that is only part of the problem:

I called Symantec and requested a full refund on our
purchases. After some hassling, we got the refund.

But then, removing the products proved to be all but
impossible despite using the many "removal" tools Symantec
provides.

When the software had been partially removed we started
getting frequent error messages relating to a Norton
Anti-Worm tool that we had never purchased, and had never
installed.

Still, Symantec could not provide a way to remove all traces
of their products.

So, I would certainly not purchase one of their products
again.

I should also add that (at least in the form we purchase)
Kaspersky is very modest in cost when compared to other
similar products.

All the best,
--
Kenneth