Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default PC antivirus software question

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

I'm a wondering what everyone is using for AV software. I've been using
Trend micro pc-cillin for a few years, but it seems the 2008 version is not
great. My local pc hardware guy agrees and recommends Kaspersky 2008
Internet Security. Anyone heard of or used this one?

thanks for all your input.

steve

I've used Avast (free for home use) for years. www.avast.com

They sell corporate versions and advance personal versions, but the
basic antvirus is free for home use. Their statement is that the only
way to win against the bad guys, or at least keep up, is if every
computer has good antivirus, and that's why they offer the basic
version for free. I think that's an admirable position, and if it
also gets them paying customers...well everyone's got to eat.

No one's ever heard of it, but it works well for me. Updates at least
once a day, hasn't caused any compatibility problems, and doesn't bog
my system. Hard to judge effectiveness, but after using it on three
always on, always connected systems for years, no infections yet.

I gave Norton and Mcaffe the boot years ago

My $.02

Paul F.